1. What did you do this year that you’d never done before? Lived alone in a tower in downtown Toledo. For a few months, anyway.
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year? Read more books. Read more books. Read more books. I’ve decided I’m going to attempt to read the Complete Works of Shakespeare in 2017.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Sara had Jaxson.
4. Did anyone close to you die? More and more every year, I tell you what.
5. What countries did you visit? 😦 Does East Toledo count?
6. Who was the best new person you met? New LCYD members continue to make my life exponentially better.
7. What date from this year will remain etched upon your memory, and why? June 12, 2016 – the night of the Pulse nightclub attack; and November 8, the night of the scary alt-right and lazy Republican attack on our country – because they were both terrifying and eye opening and the sort of things you can’t unsee or shrink away from.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? New Betsy is kind of a rockstar, and watching her develop has been quite a joy.
9. What was your biggest failure? New Betsy is 34 years old, and she should really be further developed by now.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? I went back on antidepressants and I sleep like a baby and everything is practically unicorns and rainbows most of the time.
11. What was the best thing you bought? Hmmm… new Kindle. Super awesome. Yay books.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? The harem has been equal parts frustration and joy, with a little bit of “ok, now which poem is about which boy?” paranoia mixed in.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? So I live alone now…
14. Where did most of your money go? Ha. Rent.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? I mean, the harem. Right?
16. What song/bands will always remind you of this year? Wait For It – Hamilton
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? the same? Happier.
ii. thinner or fatter? Maybe fatter. But also happier.
iii. richer or poorer? Poorer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? You know, I’m feeling pretty good. Can’t think of much. Always read more books. Traveling, I suppose. I did go see Kriszy around Memorial Day and got to spend the night in Harpers Ferry, which is always awesome. But more travel would be good.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Worrying about other people, and what other people think.
20. How did you spend Christmas Eve? 20ish of us at the Hungarian Club.
21. Did you fall in love this year? As many times as possible.
22. How many one-night stands? More like two night stands?
23. What was your favorite TV program? I’ve spent the year adding to and culling my Netflix queue in a ballet of wonder, lemmetellyou. But The Crown stands out. Perfect show.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? I mean, I probably hated Donald Trump at this time last year. Maybe just not as much as I do now.
25. What was the best book you read? Damn. There were so many good ones! I must say that The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August was the best.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery? Dawes. Where have they been all my life?!
27. What did you want and get? Don’t laugh: a bench to hold my blankets.
28. What did you want and not get? A new job.🙂
29. What was your favorite film of this year? FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM DUHHHHH.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 34 in Toledo, Ohio, and it was kind of a horrible day, to be honest. I’m getting increasingly bad at birthdays, it seems.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Um, so, I live alone now…
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept this year? Put on earrings and plan your outfit around them.
33. What kept you sane? He knows who he is.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Hillary em-effin Clinton.
35. What one word best describes this year? YUGE
36. Who did you miss? Eva. Always Eva.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned this year: Is it too cliche to say we’re stronger together?
What do you plan to do that you didn’t do this year? The harem is fun, don’t get me wrong, but a steady would be nice.
Who are you spending New Year’s Eve with? At ‘Imerca’s. Nothing beats spending 10 minutes making the rounds of the room getting hugs and kisses from your best friends/cousins.
What one thing would you like to say as the year is almost done? I still think you don’t see me, world. Or at least you still see the me you decided I was a long time ago. And I suppose I don’t need you to see the real me. I’d prefer you just don’t see me at all. The people who really see me, see me just fine, and they are all that I need in this world.