1. What did you do this year that you’d never done before? Lived with someone who wasn’t a direct relation. Unless you count college.
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I was hoping to write more poems. I don’t think that happened. I also wanted to read more books. And it got iffy there in the middle, but I think I did all right.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Juli finally had a baby – 2 weeks late! Janoooooooooooooos!
4. Did anyone close to you die? So. Many. Funerals. Zac’s parents. The Cookie Lady. The Bochi sisters. Etc.
5. What countries did you visit? It’s getting out of hand how little traveling I’ve done recently.
6. Who was the best new person you met? We’ve had a bunch of awesome new people join LCYD. They’re smart, and they’re fun, and they like me – they really like me!
7. What date from this year will remain etched upon your memory, and why? I can’t think of one. That’s HUGE.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? I got a plan, man. And I’m even executing it, kind of. Look at me go!
9. What was your biggest failure? I haven’t said no enough.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Zyrtec is my new best friend.
11. What was the best thing you bought? I got a Shakespeare bust. I mean come on.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Teddy moved in with me. And he pays his rent on time every month. I mean…
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Haha. I think he knows. Or maybe he doesn’t. And maybe that’s the point.
14. Where did most of your money go? Christmas presents again, I think.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Boys. I admit it. I’m gross.
16. What song/bands will always remind you of this year? Water Under the Bridge. Adele.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? the same? This is a tough one. I want so desperately to say that I am happier. I am not sadder. But I don’t want to say “the same!” That seems horrible.
ii. thinner or fatter? I think I’m about the same. I don’t have any problems really, with the reflection in the mirror. I’m hot stuff.
iii. richer or poorer? Generally about the same, I’d say, thank heavens.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? So last year I said, “Falling in love in the elevator. There’s always next year.” And I didn’t actually fall in love in the elevator. But I had some good times there. And there’s always next year. 🙂
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Making justifications for the people around me. Man, if I could change that one thing about my life, I’d be gold.
20. How did you spend Christmas Eve? At the Hungarian Club with the fam.
22. Did you fall in love this year? I’m developing even further my thoughts on this from last year. The next person I fall in love with has to be as self aware of themselves as I am of me. And I want that person to be as fascinated by me as I am fascinating. I will settle for nothing less and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that.
23. How many one-night stands? The year’s not over yet.
24. What was your favorite TV program? Netflix is my life.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? Ain’t nobody got time for that.
26. What was the best book you read? The History of Love
27. What was your greatest musical discovery? I am not sure that I’ve made any. Sticking with the old favorites, as always.
28. What did you want and get? I got something I didn’t think I wanted. Which makes it mean more than it has ever before. But he knows that.
29. What did you want and not get? A new job. 🙂
30. What was your favorite film of this year? Mockingjay? I think Mockingjay.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 33 in Harpers Ferry, WV. Never in my wildest dreams would I think I’d ever be in my favorite place on my birthday. It was awesome.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? I should have given up Facebook sooner.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept this year? Apparently I’ve got style. I call it “close your eyes and pull something out of the closet.”
34. What kept you sane? I wouldn’t say I stayed sane. But there are things that you can’t unsee, once you see them. And that helps you keep your head on straight and disconnected from the insanity around you.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? I love the way Lindsey Graham says “Putin.”
36. What one word best describes this year? Guuuuurl.
37. Who did you miss? Eva. Always Eva.
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned this year: Just because old influences will do everything they can to kill New Betsy doesn’t mean you have to let them accomplish it.
What do you plan to do that you didn’t do this year? I need a new job, I need to go to Europe.
Who are you spending New Year’s Eve with? Unless someone has a better idea, I’ll be on the couch at home.
What one thing would you like to say as the year is almost done? Parts of it were good, parts of it were bad. Bright shining moments were stellar, and a couple were absolutely horrible. And I think that is kind of the point.